Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Garrett turns 6


My little boy is becoming a little man.  His Kindergarten teacher has referred to him as a "little man" since the first day.  He was so talkative (shocking I know) and in a "grown-up" way. 


All the talking got him on "yellow" the first two weeks of school.  But he quickly learned how to check himself and obey the teacher and sit still - a hard feat for a little boy!  This year he still likes science and math - but has recently added "artist" to the things he wants to be.  I think he really enjoys art class. 

Today, he gets to go on his first school fieldtrip and I get to tag along.  I can't wait to see all these kids enjoy these "school firsts".  I've held it together this morning - until the bus driver greeted Garrett as he got on with "Happy Birthday Garrett"  - I lost it, and cried all the way back to the house - why? Because it's becoming more evident to me that Garrett is interacting with others without me.  Up until now we've controlled his friends and interactions and now it's time to trust that all we've taught him is working.  Although, the more I thought about it - the bus driver probably didn't have some special list of birthdays, but Garrett probably jabbered to her yesterday that today was his birthday.  Nevertheless, he's making his mark little by little in this big world.


He also has developed an interest in "collections". He quickly filled his state quarter collection, started a helmet collection and even got out Daddy's stamp collection to start looking and learning about those.


We don't know what "collection" or "interest" God will direct you to, but we pray the best for you each and every day!

Happy 6th Birthday Garrett!!

3 comments:

  1. Awww! Mom needs a hug! Very sweet. The field trip sounds like fun for both of you. Doubly sweet that you get to spend his birthday with him.

    For my part, I've always thought you guys have done an amazing job raising Garrett and Olivia. They're so well mannered and have developed precious personalities. I do love the irony of Garrett being so chatty. :-)

    I'm looking forward to watching them grow into amazing adults! But for now, I'll treasure their innocence and wonder. Miss you guys! You'll have to bring the gang over sometime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! It is such a gift to see our children succeed in this world and yet so difficult to realize that they don't need our help so much anymore. Just remember that the kind-hearted and intelligent young man that he is growing up to be, is because of the strong and thoughtful mother that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post for your great young man! It is a surreal moment when you come to the realization that your kids are becoming people who can function & interact without you...it IS the goal, but it is a bit shocking when you actually see it happening! Happy Birthday your your little man! Really cute photos, too! That is so cute about his collections! Jack is a big collector, as well!

    ReplyDelete