First, I gave each child one of each coin and called out the names and we slid them to the center of the table - (the coins not the kids). This took about 10 minutes until they scored 100% and FINALLY learned each name with the CORRECT coin.
Next, teaching them the 'value' of each. I found enough coins for this example - (a little hard as the kids are always grabbing every one around to put in the piggy banks). For this you need: One dollar bill, 1 quarter, 1 dime, 1 nickel, and 141 pennies. I set out the penny, "How much is this worth?" - one cent, next the nickel, "How much is this worth?" - five cents and so on - until we got to the dollar and counted out 100 pennies. Garrett looked up with a gleam in his eye and said, "Oh, so I want to 'collect' dollars not pennies?!" - You got it son - and so it begins . . .
Then we turned to a craft to make banks to represent the 4 ways you handle money that you earn. Tithe, Save, Spend & Invest. I wasn't happy with the selection of banks online and most of them didn't include the "invest" portion - and y'all know I'm married to a Financial Planner right? So we painted up some empty tin cans and I used my trusty label maker to label each one. I think we'll also decorate them with pictures that depict each word, but didn't quite get to that this week.
So now the only task is that every time there is money to 'split up', I have to do the division for now & I haven't quite figured out how to handle all those Target gift cards we get . . .
After this project, Garrett got a little overly excited (I know you're surprised) about counting all his money. After explaining several times that's it's not 'his' money but God's money and what Tithing actually means - he said that he wanted to donate his money to the church - yeah!
This morning before we left for MOPs Garrett said that he wanted to bring his Donate money to Waxhaw Bible Church - it's the church that MOPs meets at, but not our regular church - (my kids refer them as big church or small church - mostly because of the building size). So we packaged up our money in envelopes and wrote Waxhaw Bible on them. I told Garrett that I would introduce him to Miss Heather who would be able to collect his tithe.
Well here's what I didn't expect ~ Garrett, "Miss Heather. This is God's money I want to give it back and we prayed over it so can you make sure it gets to the right people that need it?" - no picture taken of the exchange because I was too busy sobbing - THIS is what it means. THIS is why I stay home. THIS is what we work on everyday with your children and THIS is the reward as you see it come to life!! Olivia followed suit with Garrett, but I don't think totally grasped it, but she's on her way!!
Luke 16:11 "Therefore if you have not been faithful in the use of worldly wealthy, who will entrust the true riches to you?"






That is SO precious, Rebecca! I have tears over here! Way to go Garrett, what a sweet heart! I had a similar moment a couple of years ago during VBS when Jack counted up all of the $$ in his piggy bank & took it in to donate, and of course Sophie followed suit. Melts a mom's heart!
ReplyDeleteLove your tin can banks, by the way...I agree that the selection in stores isn't great. I may have to try your way!
precious, precious, precious! you are SO right... this is what makes being a mom so wonderfully worth it! way to go, YOU, in shepherding his heart to love Jesus first!
ReplyDelete