Monday, November 29, 2010

Garrett's "MAD Scientist" Party

Electrode cake with brain attached
This year Garrett really is into science and doing "experiments" - so what better kind of party to have!  A lot of the experiments I looked at were a little too old for our crowd, but I found a few for this 5 and under group and had a GREAT time playing the role of Professor. 


First, each child that came into the door had to check-in.  This involved coming to the office being asked a few questions and getting a retinal scan by Professor KiteFlyer (aka Grandpop).  I found a computer program here that turned "text to voice" so the computer said, "Identity verified. Dr. X you may now enter the laboratory . . ." Then each scientist was given a name tag with their "Dr. Identity" and a lab coat found here.


We had a few activities in between experiments to keep those scientists busy like - building marshmallow towers, tornado tubes & magnifying glasses.


After pizza, we lined the scientists up to pass through the "sanitizing shower" before entering the lab. 

Shower

We made instant snow, sucked an egg into a bottle and exploded volcanoes with vinegar and baking soda. 





Then ~ someone pushed the Emergency Exit Button and we all had to exit to the garage for the Eye Ball Pinata breaking - complete with body part candy.  No one was actually able to break it open, so Joe helped by smashing it on the floor!


Next, we headed to the front porch to watch the mentos explosion of a diet coke - not once, not twice, but three times - This was a BIG hit as we let a few scientists pull the trigger and run! 


We followed this experiment by blowing 'touchable bubbles'.  These were GREAT - they don't pop and you could actually build with them on your fingers.


The final finale - Atomic Slime that actually glowed!  I found that recipe here.



Well after 2 hours of experiments, pizza, cake & fun we were all ready for a good night sleep!  I knew we would have to keep these kids busy and I think we accomplished that with a little bit of fun mixed in!

Happy 5th Birthday to my MAD scientist Garrett!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it was SUCH a great party, fun & even a bit educational! I love all of your experiments & you look like a stellar professor! I am sure Garrett & all the kids will be talking about that party for months to come!
    Where did you find the touchable bubbles recipe or do you just buy them? They sound great!

    ReplyDelete