We did manage to go on a nature walk and collect things that birds might use to make a nest. I had to carefully explain to Garrett every time he tried to pick up a HUGE stick that a bird probably wouldn't be able to lift and fly with that to make a nest. After much prodding, he finally did find some smaller things that he was satisfied could make a nest - although that large stick (4 feet long) was top on his list! We simply glued them down to cardboard to make the nest.
I also had them sit on the floor and pretend they were baby birds. I was the mommy bird bringing them worms and sheltering them under her wings ~ just like God protects us under his wings. The really liked this game, but after over an hour of "chirping" instead of talking - we stopped the baby bird role playing and went back to being humans :)
I also found this cute online game that you matched the animal to its home. The link is here.
We did do an experiment called "ice fishing" - unrelated to The Nest - but Garrett is all about doing "experiments". Place ice cube in beaker, place string on it, sprinkle with salt - wait 2 minutes - lift and watch what happens to the ice cube.
Next week we'll be learning about turtles as we head to the beach for a week! I should have TONS of pictures next post of all of our adventures!
~Rebecca



No comments:
Post a Comment