Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Week #1 - Creation (Days 1-3)

The official first day of school has come!!  The My Father's World Curriculum is set up so that the first 10 days (we'll do it in five) is the story of God's creation.  I've been scouring the message boards on http://www.mfwbooks.com/ to look for ideas to make this a fun week to kick-off our year. 



First, we spent time making our "counting jars" - They were really excited to get to use my prized possession (the label maker) - then they decorated their jars. Garrett used American Flags & Olivia used Christmas stickers. We'll put a craft stick each day of school until we count to 100!

I found an few excellent resources, the first being a book titled, "Crafts to Celebrate God's Creation" by Kathy Ross.  It's a 63 page book with over 25 simple crafts to help your child learn the creation story.  The crafts range from Glue and Tissue Earth to Water Covering the Earth to Button Animals.  As I thumbed through it, they are really made from everyday stuff you have at the house like straws, socks, buttons and pipe cleaners.  I would highly recommend it!

Genesis 1:3 ~ And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light"  We had Oreos for the darkness with the cream being the light.  Marshmallow for Day 2 - the clouds in the sky.  I think they'll remember these days for sure!


Genesis 1:11 Then God said, "Let the earth produce plants - some to make grain for seeds and others to make fruits with seeds in them" ~ We made green hand prints for the grass & flower stems and then put flower stickers on top.

Here are snack ideas for the creation story:
Day 1 Oreo cookies and milk for light and dark.
Day 2 Marshmallows and water for sky and water.
Day 3 Dirt cups(chocolate pudding w/crushed Oreos mixed in).
Day 4 Cheese and crackers for the moon and planets.
Day 5 Fish crackers.
Day 6 Animal crackers.
Day 7 Sundaes for rest.

One last thing I saw was sooo cute - Creation Bean Bags - I found them a little late for this week, but I still might make them for sometime later Click here to see how to make them

It's been a great week so far ~ can't wait for the rest of the week!

~Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how fun! We just made some paper plate sea creatures here, might be fun for Day 5. I've seen these kits on Oriental Trading and thought: I've got paper plates, paint, construction paper for the fins, octopus arms, flippers etc. We also hit them with some matching glitter and googly eyes. Turned out really cute. I'm thinking of adding some string and making them into door hangers that they can keep in their room for a few days. Alden made a blue dolphin (looks more like a whale) and green turtle. Ashley made a yellow fish and purple octopus. We're wrapping up some learning about the beach/ocean here. We were at HHI a couple weekends ago so it all tied together well!

    ReplyDelete