Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Super Doubles Haul . . .

OK - so for those of you who don't know - I'm a couponer, frugal, cheap, deal-seeker - whatever you want to call it - I do it.  Now I'm certainly not one of those "extreme couponers" who empties the shelves of all the BBQ sauce or croutons but I have been know to buy a few packages of napkins at a time.

We really try to buy organic and whole foods, but I find it somewhat hard to buy organic foods with coupons.  They are out there, but not in big supply.  So while I do spend a little more for organic things like peanut butter, jelly, milk, eggs, butter, yogurt, cereal, ketchup, fruits and vegetables - I try to save on some of the other items. 

For the organic items that I buy - I hop all over the place and buy a lot at a time.  Jelly, yogurt, eggs from Trader Joe's, peanut butter and ketchup from Costco, organic cereal like Cascadian Farm and Kashi and snacks like Annie's cheddar bunnies from Target, organic fruit and vegetables from Absolute Organics (who delivers them to us every other week), milk, butter - wherever they might be on sale - which is not often :(.

So back to the deals - my favorite store (that I only shop at with a sale and coupon) had their Super Doubles sale starting today.  This is where they will double any manufacturers' coupon up to $1.98. 

I am VERY picky as to what I will buy because I refuse to buy something just because it's under a dollar.  I have decided to buy coupons in bulk on ebay for things that are our "staples" or "favorites".  This week I bought (10) $1/1 bounty napkins for $1.98 - so I'll get 10 pkgs of 100 napkins for free (well really $1.98 when you count my coupon cost). I also bought a larger supply of 4C drink mix coupons (for Joe who is off sugar - hoorray!!) and onto some drink mixes with Splenda.  I bought 17 boxes for $17 - retail on these 17 boxes would have been $ 91.63 that's an 80% savings - WhooHooo!!

Ok so with two kids in tow (with ipod :) - I got the following items from Harris Teeter this week:



FREE
6 packages of Bounty Napkins (100 count)
2 pkg of Colgate toothpaste
1 pkg of French's honey mustard dipping sauce
2 boxes of Mueller's whole grain pasta
7 boxes of Lance Cracker Creations
1 bottle of baby powder

Under $1
1 box Pepperidge Farm baked pretzels
1 box Pepperidge Farm baked chips
4 bottles of shampoo
2 bottles of hair styling stuff
6 pkgs of gum
2 pkgs of Laughing Cow cheese

$1 - $2
2 jars of Grape Jelly
2 pkgs Oscar Mayer Turkey Franks
4 boxes of 4c Drink mix
2 pkgs of Turkey corndogs
2 pkgs of Sara Lee Deli meat
1 pkg Kettle Tia chips
1 bottle of Suave lotion

1 pkg of Butterball turkey burgers - splurge at for $6 for 6 but very yummy!!

AND 2 Krispy Kreme Donuts for $1.98 - well worth it - the kids were Angels :)

Total Retail Value $ 173.00
Grand Total Spent $ 46.67
Grand Total Saved $ 126.33
That's 73% savings!!

I use Southern Savers to look for coupons and deals, but I also find it's just easier to have a price book of my prices at different stores - so I know when the price hits bottom and to buy a bigger supply.  Jenny from Southern Savers wrote a great blog post for "Real coupon reality" here.  I also use 2 computers to print up to 4 coupons from the internet and usually buy 2-3 papers a week depending on what coupons will be in there.

To all my fellow frugal friends - Happy couponing this week at Harris Teeter!

~Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. oh.my.goodness. i knew shoppers like you were out there, but i didn't realize the super extreme savings and effort. my hat is off to you - my thumb is up for you - my jaw is hanging open because of you. if i pay you, will you shop for me too?! :) way to be a frugal woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tips, Rebecca! And way to go on that fantastic haul! It has recently occurred to me that I need to keep a list (probably a note on my phone) with the prices of items that I regularly buy at Costco, etc...so that I will know when I see a better deal. I think I will remember what I pay, but I always forget! Thanks for inspiring me to really do it! I hope to make it to HT this week, I have lots of coupons saved up! Blessings & good bargain hunting!

    ReplyDelete